Book Review: "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Brontë



Previously posted on Goodreads!¹



This book... this book...

It took me ages to finish because I was reading it on my laptop, thing that now assures me that if I want to read e-books, I must buy a proper e-reader. 

The writing style reminded me a bit of Charles Dickens' David Copperfield because he started telling the story as a boy and we, as readers, were growing up with the main character all along; it has both ups and downs, sometimes you're reading catastrophes and sometimes long periods of joy.

Charlotte Brontë wrote down perfectly the role of a well-educated and at the same time passionate girl who never gave up in the dark times of her life, thing that I admire because in the books I've read recently, I see female main characters crying and laying down, sometimes being reckless in tue subsequent actions because their lives are just not worthy enough. Jane Eyre is completely different and shows that even in different ages, women can be as strong as men and even stronger in love situations.


Oh, Rochester. The man made me want to throw the book and cry because of his secret. There were times I didn't believe in his love for Jane and everything seemed suspicious for me. Even though I felt that Jane wasn't going to feel completely happy without him, I understood that with her relationship with St. John, and if she had chosen him instead of Rochester, I would've hated this book forever. (I reckon my ship in this book is very clear).




CHARLOTTE BRONTË worked as a governess and spent some years teaching at a boarding school in Brussels; her unrequited love for the school’s headmaster, informed her novels Villette and The Professor. It was the passion and rebellion of Jane Eyre that earned her fame, and when visiting London she moved in the best literary circles, befriended by Mrs. Gaskell and Thackeray – the latter remembered ‘the trembling little frame, the little hand, the great honest eyes’. Shirley, written during and after the tragic deaths of her three siblings within a single year, displayed Charlotte’s engagement with both women’s rights and radical workers’ movements.



¹This review was written and originally posted on my Goodreads profile in 2013. It might now present minor changes in structure or corrections but has not changed its intention.

0 comentarios:

Post a Comment