Book Review: "Rising" by Holly Kelly



Previously posted on Goodreads!¹


I really, really, really wanted to like this book, it just wasn't for me.

I wanted to read this book after I read the plot and saw the cover; also I was happy because I found it free on Amazon. I'd never read a book about mermaids/dagonians, I hadn't read about Greek myth actually, and this has a little of it, for instance, you find names like Triton who has an important part in this story and Poseidon.

I was so disappointed, though.

The book starts with the plot that Xanthus wants to avoid a war between humans and Dagonians, but you don't actually see a lot of that. I was really excited when I read that there were several deaths of these creatures because of human behavior with the environment! You don't see that often in a fantasy book, but the story is more focused on the love part, I mean, it was kind of obvious that it was going to happen, but still, I believe it needed to be deeper. But what was more important to me, well, it is with all the books I read, is that the narrative was too simple. There were characters that I believe were unnecessary (but I think it's because there's another book and the characters can be explored then (?)), their development wasn't enough, and something was resolved pretty easily.


Everything about Triton and Sara was just UGH! NO THANK YOU! I realized she was his daughter in seconds, and then he saves the day in a very easy way, a way that destroyed everything that was already destroyed, NO THANK YOU.


Also, I am aware that if I would've read this in my teenage years, I would've loved it, because in that time I had an incorrect idea of what a healthy relationship is, and Xanthus is, for me, a total Edward Cullen. He's overprotective, obsessive, and controller towards her girlfriend... so, the only difference I could find was that he's got a fin. A lot of people believe that this is the perfect relationship... well, I won't go into this!

There was at least a moment where Sara tells Xanthus that it is important for all women to also share their opinions! Maybe that's why I gave another star.


HOLLY KELLY is a mom who writes books in her spare time: translation -she hides in the bathroom with her laptop and locks the door while the kids destroy the house and smear peanut butter on the walls. She was born in Utah but moved around a bit, living in Kansas, Texas, and Hawaii where she studied marine biology. She's now back in Utah. She's married to a wonderful husband, James, and they are currently raising 6 rambunctious children. Her interests are reading, writing (of course), martial arts, visual arts, creating Halloween props, and spending time with family.



¹This review was written and originally posted on my Goodreads profile in 2015. It might now present minor changes in structure or corrections but has not changed its intention.

0 comentarios:

Post a Comment